Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Our Chance to Shine

Okay, so short and sweet, not pithy or funny at all. For all of you who have connections with higher powers, have a chat with them on behalf of my hard-working students. Today is the day when we drop everything we know about students as individuals (and how important it is to teach them in the way that best suits their personal uniquenesses) and pit them against a norm in the form of an evil test. While I'm so not opposed to testing -- everything worth doing in life involves testing -- this one is a bastard, and it's unfair to kids who are learning a second langauge. It destroys children's lives, takes away their self-confidence, and brands them forever as "stupid." So for all of you clerics, paladins, and just plain believers, we need some help over here. There's little lives and hearts at stake. I thank you, I really do.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Azathoth100 said...

I am not a beliver, I am not one of faith, no connection to a higher anything. Yet I will cross my fingers for those who face this test. May they realize that who they are is more than any test can probe, that some of the brightest in history didn't test well. I will hope that they have a teacher who is good enough to teach them the important things in life, such as thier self-worth shouldn't be connected to either tests or other people's opinions... oh wait, they have you, which sounds like they already have a great start by having a wonderful teacher.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Tiamat said...

Thank you for the kind comments. I try, really I do. I've found a funny little niche here and I feel like I'm making a difference one child at a time. Still, when failing one test on one day can send them into a pit of younger kids for the rest of their academic lives, it's fairly traumatic. No matter what we say, if they fail this thing, they feel stupid. Kind of like an eternal brand. I really need to take a roost down in Austin and use some subtle influence to get these geniouses to find two brain cells to rub together. Hmmm...so you said at one point in time, you were an adventurer of sorts...care to saddle up something that won't freak at the sight of me and go on a little road trip? ;D

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a believer and you have my prayers. BTW I would go with you to Austin, or anywhere for that matter...even if our souls weren't linked.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Tiamat said...

What an offer...anywhere? I'm thinking...hot tub!

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home